Career Level Director
Experience 5 Years
ChefSteps.com, a wholly-owned division of Breville (BVILF), needs the perfect Sr. Director of Content for its rapidly growing, subscription-based online cooking and entertainment channel. This new position reports directly to the Executive Director of the ChefSteps/Breville Group.
You’ll head development all of the published content on ChefSteps.com, leading the kitchen, production and writing teams to create videos, recipes and activities for our 4 million viewers.
This is an audience-first job for someone with experience managing creators of written and video content, and skilled personally at both. You need to be a big picture leader who loves to try new things. You don’t have to be a professional chef, but you should have a deep well of knowledge and experience in food and cooking—and in communicating about food and cooking.
You should be an inventor of successful partnerships, who loves building an audience. You be able to conceive and execute great content for our site, apps, social, and special events.
You’ll have experience managing a team, because at ChefSteps you’ll be growing the department based on its execution needs. ChefSteps feels entrepreneurial, but it’s fully supported by all the resources of cutting edge, multi-national parent company Breville Ltd.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, define and lead ChefSteps.com editorial & publishing strategy. You’ll create and manage the ChefSteps.com editorial calendar, then turn that calendar into brilliant editorial, recipes and activities to make our subscription audience deliriously happy.
- Manage and inspire a talented team of kitchen and editorial colleagues—and hire new team members as needed.
- Grow and develop the voice, tone and brand of the site.
- Create and advance new content ideas, new talent and new partners across the food universe.
- Build strong relationships inside and outside the company.
- Stay on top of trends, talent, and new products to create opportunities to further satisfy our audience.
- Build and manage departmental budgets
- Help develop new ChefSteps programming and ancillary products.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is an ambitious and original creative with a clear point of view.
- Loves food and cooking, and can write about it brilliantly
- Has 5+ years of content creation experience in entertainment media (marketing, editorial or production)—food or other lifestyle brands a plus.
- Has a proven track record of leadership, hiring, networking and team management
- Has a deep functional understanding of video production and post production workflows
- Possesses deep knowledge of social platforms and creative excellence – with the ability to tell engaging stories through any written or visual medium
- Has a proven track record of creating content that gets written about, shared and talked about because it matters to the audience.
- Is a strong presenter and clear, effective communicator (both written and verbal)
- Has a solid understanding of marketing and social media analytics and how to use them
- Has a high tolerance for change, and the capacity to accomplish enormous amounts in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- Is a risk-taker with strong instincts that back up a willingness to try new things.
- Can get things done efficiently alone and in teams.
- Has the ability to imagine and articulate a vision for ChefSteps content.
- Has an imaginative, strategic understanding of the opportunities a manufacturer/entertainment partnership make possible
- Has a sense of humor.
- Experience with a subscription-based service a HUGE plus.
- Hands-on experience in the Arts, including Film/video writing, production, performance or post
- Hobbyist-or-better cooking chops
- A unique perspective or background that expands our team’s ability to think across cultures or disciplines.
Why you’ll love it here:
ChefSteps is a cooking channel, which means there’s tons of great food, all the time. We’re owned by Breville, a giant high-end equipment company, so cool toys at a discount, too.
ChefSteps’ kitchens and offices are located in the heart of Seattle’s famous Pike Place Market. Working here means grabbing groceries at world-class seafood and produce stands, enjoying impromptu happy hours at dozens of awesome bars, and picking up gifts from the more than 200 craft stands mere steps from our door. If there’s a better place for a cooking company to find itself, we’re unaware of it.
Please include a resume and cover letter that lets us know you’ve done your homework on us and thought deeply about this position.