Career Level Executive
Experience 8 Years +
HEAD OF DEVELOPMENT, GLOBAL
BOX TO BOX FILMS
Specialising in high-end feature documentaries, documentary series and formatted factual entertainment, our daily objective is to continually push storytelling to new heights. We pride ourselves on our ability to elevate material into dynamic and dramatic narrative, working with global streamers to reach our ever-growing international audiences.
Helmed by Academy Award®-winning producer James Gay-Rees (AMY; SENNA; MARADONA) and Emmy-winning producer Paul Martin, together they are responsible for Box To Box’s ever-growing list of stellar productions since the company was founded in 2016: from the Netflix international hit series, Formula1: Drive To Survive, Full Swing, Break Point, Tour de France: Unchained and in the documentary space- Wanted, The Escape of Carlos Ghosn, Amy, Exit Through the Gift Shop
Based in London, Los Angeles and Paris
The company is widely recognised as the global leader in the production of uber premium documentaries, and is regularly credited with sparking the recent boom in observational, access-led sports content. Box to Box strives to challenge the norms of traditional documentary formats through thoughtful, insightful and narrative-driven filmmaking, and prides itself on its ability to elevate material into dynamic and dramatic storytelling, with never-seen-before footage, unprecedented access and best-in-class production standards.
OPPORTUNITY & ROLE
We are seeking to hire a Head of Development to work across the US & the UK. The Head of Development will be responsible for the creation and implementation of an innovative development strategy across the documentary, sports and entertainment sides of the business. The role will report into co-founders James Gay-Rees and Paul Martin, and Sam Lawrence, Managing Director.
This is a high-profile opportunity for an established and ambitious professional to join the team at Box to Box, and to drive the company’s world-class slate with creativity, innovation and enterprise.
We are seeking someone with a passion for ideas generation, someone who wants to break the mold, to be first. We are looking for someone who is not waiting for network briefs or wanting to follow the crowd. We are looking for someone who can come up with ideas which will lead to outstanding content, who can inspire and guide a creative team. This person will have strong industry relationships and will bring with them ideas for pioneering new content, as well as a deep understanding of audience engagement and viewing trends.
The role comes with genuine autonomy, and this person will play a key role in helping Box To Box fulfil its impressive growth trajectory and continue to drive new ideas to create content for a global audience.
The successful candidate will:
- Be an established and respected senior creative, with an excellent understanding of the evolving global documentary and entertainment landscape and have a respect and appreciation for the high-end programming that Box to Box produce.
- Have first-class commissioner relationships, and experience of pitching and winning projects of the highest creative calibre from a wide range of SVOD buyers.
- Have excellent communication skills
- Have proven ability to secure and maintain access to global organizations and individuals.
- Be highly experienced at running development teams and processes
- Have excellent relationships with agents and management companies. This person will be someone who can identify and grow successful collaborations.
- Be able to demonstrate entrepreneurial and creative ability.
- Be someone who has nurtured and grown diverse and inclusive teams, leading from the front and mentoring teams through projects.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate they have the skills to:
Be a visible and inspiring leader both internally and externally. Someone who actively encourages and supports creativity, bravery, innovation and inclusion.
- Bring new and exciting creative ideas to Box to Box and have a forward-thinking mind-set.
- Create and deliver comprehensive pitching materials, treatments and sizzle reels.
- Oversee the full development lifecycle from conception of ideas, to creating effective proposals, to pitching.
- Think beyond the TV landscape and be ahead of the curve in terms of content generation.
- Be a dynamic seller and have the ability to cultivate and nurture commissioner and talent relationships.
- Understand and appreciate the nature of access documentaries and series, and be skilled in nurturing and maintaining these relationships.
- Work under their own initiative: be organised and embrace working in a dynamic, fast-paced and ambitious environment.
- Be an excellent communicator, someone who is well-connected and can act as an exemplary ambassador for Box to Box and its associated programming.
- Have an eye for identifying and developing new talent.
The successful candidate will:
- Understand, respect and be enthusiastic and passionate about the Box to Box brand, with the hunger to help the company reach new heights.
- Be highly creative, and an ambitious storyteller who approaches ideas with imagination, flair and innovation.
- Be diplomatic, someone who can maintain strong relationships with the teams they work with, senior company figures and external stakeholders.
- Have a rigorous and meticulous approach to work and excellent attention to detail, bringing out the same high standards in others.
- Champion DEI, being fully committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates, promotes and represents a diverse workforce.