Career Level Executive
Experience 8 Years +
HEAD OF CURRENT, U.S.
BOX TO BOX FILMS
Specialising in high-end feature documentaries, documentary series and formatted factual entertainment, our daily objective is to continually push storytelling to new heights. We pride ourselves on our ability to elevate material into dynamic and dramatic narrative, working with global streamers to reach our ever-growing international audiences.
Helmed by Academy Award®-winning producer James Gay-Rees (AMY; SENNA; MARADONA) and Emmy-winning producer Paul Martin, together they are responsible for Box To Box’s ever-growing list of stellar productions since the company was founded in 2016: from the Netflix international hit series, Formula1: Drive To Survive, Full Swing, Break Point, Tour de France: Unchained and in the documentary space- Wanted, The Escape of Carlos Ghosn, Amy, Exit Through the Gift Shop
Based in London, Los Angeles and Paris
The company is widely recognised as the global leader in the production of uber premium documentaries, and is regularly credited with sparking the recent boom in observational, access-led sports content. Box to Box strives to challenge the norms of traditional documentary formats through thoughtful, insightful and narrative-driven filmmaking, and prides itself on its ability to elevate material into dynamic and dramatic storytelling, with never-seen-before footage, unprecedented access and best-in-class production standards.
OPPORTUNITY & ROLE
The company is on a rapid growth trajectory and is seeking a Head of Current to navigate the next phase in the US. The role will report into co-founders James Gay-Rees and Paul Martin, and Sam Lawrence, Managing Director.
This is a high-profile opportunity for an established and ambitious professional to join the leadership team at Box to Box, and to drive and execute the company’s world-class slate with creativity, innovation, and enterprise.
We are seeking someone with a passion for making outstanding content, who can inspire and guide an industry-leading creative team. This person will have exceptionally strong industry relationships and already be a leading figure in the documentary and entertainment landscape. They will bring with them ideas for pioneering new content, as well as a deep understanding of audience engagement and viewing trends.
The role comes with genuine autonomy, and this person will play a key role in shaping the future of Box to Box US, helping it to fulfil its impressive growth trajectory and continue to bring exceptional content to audiences worldwide.
As well as being dedicated to producing formidable content, this person will be committed to building diverse and inclusive teams, that allow members to work cohesively and thrive.
The successful candidate will:
- Be an established and respected senior creative, with an excellent understanding of the evolving global documentary and entertainment landscape and have a respect and appreciation for the high-end programming that Box to Box produce.
- Have first-class network and streaming relationships, and experience of pitching and winning projects of the highest creative calibre from a wide range of buyers.
- Have excellent communication skills with the ability to secure access to organizations and individuals and maintain those relationships to deliver first class access for productions.
- Be highly experienced at running development teams and processes, to bring top-line ideas through to commission and delivery.
- Have excellent production sensibilities and the instincts to deliver uber-premium content, with a comprehensive knowledge of the production process and lifecycle.
- Have excellent relationships with off-screen talent, and be able to attract leading Exec Producers, Showrunners, Series Producers, Editors and Directors to Box To Box.
- Have excellent relationships with agents and management companies. This person will be someone who can identify and grow successful collaborations.
- In previous roles, have demonstrated the entrepreneurial and creative ability to deliver commercial and critical success to an organization.
- Be someone who has actively contributed to the decision making and direction of an organization.
- Be someone who has nurtured and grown diverse and inclusive teams, leading from the front and mentoring teams through projects.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate they have the skills to:
- Be a visible and inspiring leader both internally and externally. Someone who actively encourages and supports creativity, bravery, innovation and inclusion.
- Bring new and exciting creative ideas to Box to Box and elevate existing projects with dynamism and a forward-thinking mind-set.
- Think beyond the TV landscape and be ahead of the curve in terms of content generation and exploitation.
- Be a dynamic seller and have the ability to cultivate and nurture commissioner and talent relationships.
- Understand and appreciate the nature of access documentaries and series, and be skilled in nurturing and maintaining these relationships.
- Work under their own initiative: be organised and embrace working in a dynamic, fast-paced and ambitious environment.
- Organize and manage creative teams effectively, with the ability to balance editorial, financial and managerial responsibility across several developments/productions.
- Ensure all projects/content are delivered on time and within budget, encouraging the highest possible creative standards throughout, whilst managing the demands of broadcasters, networks and third party stakeholders.
- Be an excellent communicator, someone who is well-connected and can act as an exemplary ambassador for Box to Box and its associated programming.
- Have an eye for identifying and developing new talent.
The successful candidate will:
- Understand, respect and be enthusiastic and passionate about the Box to Box brand, with the hunger to help the company reach new heights.
- Be committed to producing world-class documentaries and series, and have the desire to operate at the cutting edge of the industry.
- Be highly creative, and an ambitious storyteller who approaches projects with imagination, flair and innovation.
- Be diplomatic, someone who can maintain strong relationships with the teams they work with, senior company figures and external stakeholders.
- Have a rigorous and meticulous approach to work and excellent attention to detail, bringing out the same high standards in others.
- Champion DEI, being fully committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates, promotes and represents a diverse workforce.