Career Level Director
Experience 5 Years
ChefSteps.com, a rapidly growing, subscription-based online cooking and entertainment channel, and a wholly-owned division of Breville, needs an Editorial Director for its website content.
You will be responsible for developing and executing the published content on ChefSteps.com, working with the kitchen, production and writing teams to create videos, recipes and activities to satisfy a growing subscriber base.
This is a job for someone with experience managing creators of both written and video content, and skilled personally at both. You’re right for this position if you’re a big picture leader who loves to try new things, a great writer with deep experience in print and video, and understand how monthly creation of both helps make our audience deliriously happy. You don’t have to be a professional chef, but you do have to have a deep well of knowledge and experience in food and cooking—and communicating about food and cooking.
You should be an inventor of successful partnerships, and someone who loves building an audience. You be able to conceive and execute great content for our .com site, social, special events. You’ll have experience managing a team, because at ChefSteps you’ll be growing the department based on its execution needs.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, define and lead ChefSteps.com editorial & publishing strategy. This includes, among other things: Managing and calendaring all the editorial on ChefSteps.com; creating great editorial, recipes and activities that grow and develop the voice, tone and branding of the product– making our subscription audience deliriously happy.
- Manage, hire and inspire a team of kitchen and editorial colleagues to have a positive effect on every aspect of our growing OTT Platform.
- Create and advance ChefSteps long-term content strategy to enhance subscription growth, including new content ideas, new talent and and new partners across the food universe.
- Build strong relationships with internal partners in marketing, programming, production and our parent company.
- Stay on top of trends, new personalities, and upcoming product launches to create opportunities to further satisfy our audience.
- Be experimental with content, take risks with what you’re creating, be ambitious and original.
- Build and manage departmental budgets
- Be a critical part of the team developing new ChefSteps ancillary programming.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Loves food and cooking, and can write about it brilliantly
- Has 5+ years experience in entertainment media (marketing, editorial or production) or brand building including content creation—food or other lifestyle brands a plus.
- Has a proven track record of leadership, hiring, and team management
- Has a deep functional understanding of video production and post production workflows
- Possesses deep knowledge of social platforms and creative excellence – with the ability to tell engaging stories through any written or visual medium
- Has a proven track record of creating content that gets written about, shared and talked about because it matters to the audience.
- Is a fountain of ideas, and has great taste
- Is a strong presenter and clear, effective communicator (both written and verbal)
- Has a solid understanding of marketing and social media analytics and can apply them
- Experience with a subscription-based service a HUGE plus.
- Has a high tolerance for change, and the capacity to accomplish enormous amounts in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
- A risk-taker with strong instincts that back up a willingness to try new things.
- Can get things done efficiently—alone and in teams.
- Has the ability to imagine and articulate a future for ChefSteps content.
- Has an imaginative, strategic understanding of the opportunities a manufacturer/entertainment partnership make possible
- Has a sense of humor.
- Hands-on experience in the Arts, including Film/video writing, production, or post
- Hobbyist-or-better cooking chops
- A unique perspective or background that expands our team’s ability to think across cultures or disciplines.
Why you’ll love it here:
ChefSteps is a cooking channel, which means there’s tons of great food, all the time. We’re owned by a high-end equipment company, so cool toys too.
ChefSteps’ kitchens and offices are located in the heart of Seattle’s famous Pike Place Market. Working here means grabbing groceries at world-class seafood and produce stands, enjoying impromptu happy hours at dozens of awesome bars, and picking up pretty gifts from the more than 200 craft stands mere steps from our door. If there’s a better place for a cooking company to find itself, we’re unaware of it.
Please include a resume and cover letter that lets us know you’ve done your homework on us and thought deeply about this position.