SUMMARYCreative Executive with deep experience developing and executing Emmy Award-winning entertainment for The Olympics, NBC, CBS, MTV, Nickelodeon and more. I create cultural moments by turning series, pilots, promotions, live events and experiences into forward leaning content that engages global audiences and fandom. With an expertise in production, development, branding and social content, I build relationships and lead teams that have consistently generated over $50MM+ in annual revenue on global live event tentpoles. A leader who successfully inspires creatives to think differently with innovation, authenticity and passion. As an Executive Producer on dozens of shows and hundreds of marketing/promotional campaigns, A-list celebrities, athletes and social influencers have trusted me to bring their brands and initiatives to life through unique, memorable and sharable content both long form and short.
EXPERIENCENickelodeon, a division of ViacomCBS New York, NY SVP, Live Event Television, Experiential Creative & Unscripted Development 2013 – 2020
- Led creative content group charged with developing and producing the network's signature live events, unscripted content and experiential marketing.
- Executive Produced the annual Kids Choice Awards, Kids Choice Sports and all network tent-poles.
- Oversight included all creative, production, integrated marketing and sponsorship opportunities.
- Responsible for total show production, budgeting, staffing, branded content and movie studio integrations with annual budgets of over $25MM and consistently driving $45MM in media revenue.
- Headed development, piloting and series oversight for unscripted series including hit shows Double Dare with social star Liz Koshy, Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? Starring John Cena and more.
- Unscripted content lifted overall network ratings by over 10% per launch.
- Spearheaded creative for Slime Fest. Nickelodeon’s first family-targeted two-day music festival.
- Launched the interactive linear brand experience of Slime City, Nickelodeon’s first ever pop-up ticketed experiential museum.
- Oversaw all aspects of on-air and off-air short form content and promotion for Nickelodeon, Nick at Night, Nick Radio and the Nick App including digital, social, linear and sponsorship campaigns.
- Built and led team of 50+ producers, designers, writers and production staff with an annual budget of $20MM+.
- Developed and executed hundreds of network brand image and promotion campaigns for show launches, series, pro-social initiatives, tent-pole events, red carpet coverage, music videos, theatricals, talent initiatives and digital content.
- Oversaw movie marketing group for Nickelodeon’s internal creative agency overseeing theatrical campaigns for major film studio’s including DreamWorks, Sony Pictures, Universal Studios, Walt Disney Studios, Paramount Pictures and more.
- Drove incremental ad revenue over $5MM annually
- Created multi-media campaigns including custom integrations, sponsorship content and movie trailers starring movie and custom casted talent.
- NICKELODEON GAMES & SPORTS CHANNEL: VP/Creative Director, New York, NY, 2000-2005
- CBS Sports- XVIII OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES: Feature Producer, Nagano, Japan, 1998
- NBC Sports, XXVI CENTENNIAL OLYMPIC GAMES: Feature Producer, Atlanta, GA, 1996
- MTV SPORTS, Show Producer and Director: New York, NY, 1994-1998
- Emmy Award Nomination - Outstanding Promotional Announcement Primetime Emmy Winner - Outstanding Creative Achievement - Interactive Media & User Experience/Nickelodeon
- Daytime Emmy Winner - Outstanding Promotional, Kids Choice Awards/ Nickelodeon
- Sports Emmy Award Winner - Outstanding Live Sports/NBC Olympics
- Sports Emmy Award Winner - Outstanding Edited Sports Series/MTV Sports
- Golden Trailer Award Winner - Excellence in Theatrical Film Marketing-Shrek III/Nickelodeon
- Multiple Promax and BDA Awards
- Emmy Award Nomination - Outstanding Interactive Achievement in a Daytime Series
- Emmy Award Nomination - Outstanding Promotional Campaign
EDUCATIONClark University Bachelor of Science, Sociology
Industry AdvertisingBranded EntertainmentDigitalEventsMarketingMediaMusicTelevision
Sector Branded ContentBranded EntertainmentConsumer MarketingCreative Services
Preferred Job Title CCO (Chief Creative Officer)Creative DirectorExecutive Creative DirectorExecutive ProducerHead of Video Production
Award-winning Production, Live Event, Experiential and Creative Executive
Entertainment Executive Jay Schmalholz has stamped a playful imprint on countless hours of global entertainment for networks, studios and creative agencies. His impactful leadership has been pivotal to the success of award-winning live events, multi-million dollar award shows, sports-industry specials, TV series, development and interactive experiential installations.
With innovative content, Mr. Schmalholz consistently attracts loyal audiences enthralled by the creative experiences he delivers on-air, online and on-location. Hired repeatedly, people describe Jay as having “vision,” “an insatiable appetite for fun” and the “strategic expertise of someone with obstacle-blind/problem-solving passion.”
Mr. Schmalholz’s creative force has led to years of successful leadership built on his approachability, openness to new ideas, humor and integrity. He has built an expansive network of colleagues with deep personal relationships that spread through multiple layers and genres throughout the entertainment industry. This creativity and expertise has earned game changing ratings and revenue in productions on eighteen Kids Choice Awards, four Olympic games, five Super Bowls, three World Series, MLB All-star games, TV Land ICON Awards, The Halo Awards, MTV Video Music Awards, U.S. Open’s and more.
Throughout his tenure at Nickelodeon, Mr. Schmalholz led network marquee productions generating over fifty million annually. He launched innovative content for Nickelodeon’s first branded app and created signature immersive experiences including Slime Fest, Slime City and Worldwide Day of Play.
Additionally, Mr. Schmalholz created, developed, and produced multiple network series and specials including NBC’s Road to the Olympics, Nickelodeon’s Ultimate Haunted House, Inside the Last-Airbender and Game Farm, the first-ever, live video game competition show. As Creative Director for Nick’s internal agency, Jay led hundreds of multi-platform campaigns with annual budgets of over $20 million, promoting series, specials, events, brands, and theatrical film releases.
Trusted by A-list personalities, Jay produced award-winning original content starring Michelle Obama, Will Smith, Dwayne Johnson, Justin Timberlake, Ariana Grande, Dude Perfect, Liza Koshy, David Dobrik, Jack Black, Russell Wilson, Kobe Bryant, Blake Shelton, John Cena and more. Award-winning producers including Jeffery Katzenberg, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, M.Night Shyamalan, Michael Strahan, and Mark Burnett have put their confidence and invaluable IP in the hands of Mr. Schmalholz time and time again.
Mr. Schmalholz resides in Armonk, New York with his wife Emily and two sons Justin and Jesse.
HIGHLIGHTED INDUSTRY AWARDS:
- Primetime Emmy Winner 2013 -Outstanding Creative Achievement- Interactive Media & User Experience/Nickelodeon
- Daytime Emmy Winner-2013- Outstanding Promotional Announcement, Kids Choice Awards/ Nickelodeon
- Golden Trailer Award Winner- 2008- Excellence in Theatrical Film Marketing-Shrek III/Nickelodeon
- Sports Emmy Award Winner- 1996- Outstanding Live Sports/CBS Olympics
- Sports Emmy Award Winner- 1994- Outstanding Edited Sports Series/MTV Sports
- Multiple Emmy Nominations include:
2017 Outstanding Interactive Achievement in a Daytime Series
2014- Outstanding Promotional Campaign
2012 & 2011- Outstanding Promotional Announcement