About Daniel Tibbets
Industry Branded EntertainmentDigitalMediaTelevision
Sector Branded EntertainmentDevelopmentIntellectual PropertyOperationsSeries DevelopmentSocial MediaStrategy
Preferred Job Title CEO (Chief Executive Officer)EntrepreneurExecutive Vice PresidentGeneral ManagerHead of Original ProgrammingPresidentSenior Vice President
Daniel Tibbets possesses a unique mix of business discipline and creative acumen. He is best known for innovating and problem-solving complex corporate and production challenges. Daniel’s expertise in content development and production finance has led him to successfully execute new models and create content for SVOD, AVOD and linear television. He is also uniquely positioned to lead teams within a production company or network through his long and successful history in distribution, sales, corporate finance, operations, and legal and business affairs.
Currently, under his From the Stairs Media banner, Daniel is an advisor for Yun Capital, identifying and evaluating investment opportunities of high growth assets in the entertainment and infrastructure sectors. He is also a consultant for El Rey Network (the cable network founded by Robert Rodriguez) advising on content strategy and execution across their business and production divisions, including serving as Executive Producer for “The Chuey Martinez Show,” “El Rey Nation,” “Vampiro Unleashed,” “Maria,” and several other programs currently in production.
Previously, Daniel was President & General Manager of El Rey Network, a platform for Hispanic voices and audiences, adding his perspective on how to identify and program to “mass-niche” audiences. This approach was critical in defining the content strategies for goTV Networks, Bunim-Murray Digital, Machinima, and El Rey. Keying on that hyper-targeting content strategy was the impetus for El Rey network to create two new business units – El Rey Network Studios and La Reyna, a Joint Venture with VICE Media.
Prior to his tenure at El Rey, Daniel was Chief Content Officer at Machinima (acquired by Warner Bros in 2016), SVP Digital Media for Bunim/Murray Productions, Studio Chief at goTV Networks (acquired in 2011), and Vice President Production and Head of Foxlab for Twentieth Television. He also co-founded the e-publishing company Premier Digital Publishing (acquired in 2014).
Under his leadership Tibbets developed and put into production over 600 hours of original content for go90, Sony Vue, YouTube and other platforms; built the largest mobile media network and original content syndicator, launching over 20 original VOD channels; and has been responsible for over 3000 episodes of television production and developed; and is responsible for the development and sale of the HBO series “Rome.”
From The Stairs Media
• Consultant to El Rey Network on content strategy and execution across their business and production divisions, including serving as Executive Producer for “The Chuey Martinez Show,” “El Rey Nation,” “Vampiro Unleashed,” “Maria,” “Correctamundo” and several other programs. • Advisor to Yun Capital, responsible for developing, identifying, and evaluating investment opportunities of high growth assets in the entertainment and infrastructure sectors.
2016 - 2020
El Rey Network
• Running day-to-day operations, strategy, content development, program planning/scheduling, production operations and finance, content acquisitions, talent relations, advertising sales, business affairs, content strategy, and hands on experience with US MVPD/vMVPD carriage agreements; • Conceived, developed, and negotiated JV with VICE Media and launched branded entertainment studio, La Reyna based in Austin, Tx. • Launched El Rey Network Studios, El Rey’s internal production company for external partners and El Rey Network.
2014 - 2016
• Responsible for content strategy and development, program planning and scheduling, production, acquisitions, branded entertainment and business affairs. Developed and put into production over 600 hours of original content for go90, Sony Vue, YouTube, and other platforms including the hit series, “Street Fighter: Resurrection” and “Transformers: Combiner Wars;” • Machinima was acquired by Warner Bros in 2016.
2011 - 2014
• Created start-up production unit inside BMP with P&L and overall strategy responsibility; charged with revenue generation through sourcing and closing deals for production services, creation of new IP, branded entertainment production, original creative development / production and sales for all short-form and long-form content for alternative platforms (web, mobile, television, and other online, digital and connected devices).
2005 - 2011
• Chief decision maker and head of all programming, development, production, production finance, branded entertainment, business affairs and licensing of video content for mobile and broadband, as well as new business and distribution models; • Led GoTV Networks to become the largest producer and distributor of original video content accessible to mobile users in streaming and on-demand formats on all U.S. based wireless carriers (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, Cricket, etc.), mobile operating systems (iOS, Android, Brew, Java, etc.) as well as for online and internationally; • GoTV Networks was acquired by Phunware in June, 2011.
2010 - 2014
Premier Digital Publishing
• Co-Founder and Principal, establishing a new digital publishing company and was responsible for securing top authors for past and new works through existing relationships in the industry. Published clients included: Piers Anthony, the Stephen Ambrose Estate, Alan Jacobson, Andre Norton, and Robert Graysmith. • Premier Digital Publishing was acquired by Open Road Media in 2014.
2002 - 2005
• Responsible for the development of successful television programs including the first convergence program to air on broadcast television, Classmates with Classmates.com; • Responsible for all production operations and production finance, with over $150M in production annually; • Head of the prestigious Foxlab, Inc. One of only three to ever hold that title; • Credited with developing the \"mobisode™\" and Executive Producing the first two original content mobisodes™ Love and Hate and Sunset Hotel.
2000 - 2002
• Responsible for the development of live-action dramas for syndication with Tribune Entertainment and children’s half-hour series’ for Nickelodeon and NBC/Discovery Kids, including Strange Days at Blake Holsey High. Also was responsible for the U.S. sale of the eight-hour miniseries Robocop: Prime Directives to the Sy-Fy Channel as well as the two-hour MOW Stolen Miracle to Lifetime.
1998 - 2000
Papazian-Hirsch / Rysher Entertainment
• Credited with the development and sale of the HBO series ROME and television films A Mother’s Testimony and Determination of Death for Lifetime and Face Value for Court TV.
1995 - 1998
• Producer, contributor and development of other award-winning, made for syndication series, including: Martha Stewart Living, Bob Vila, Pensacola: Wings of Gold, Psi Factor - Chronicles of the Paranormal, News for Kids, Wild, Wild Web, The Extremists, and George Michael’s Sports Machine.
1993 - 1995
• Worked as writer, producer or production coordinator on a number of notable television programs and specials including the Emmy-Award winning Streetwise, World Champions of Golf and BuzzTV, and the BBC/PBS mini-series Signs and Wonders starring James Earl Jones.
Arizona State University